Sunday, March 02, 2008

From Dad

Here and There
I like the story about the old boy hauled into court. He wouldn’t cooperate. The judge asked him where he lived. He answered, “Here and there”. When asked what he did. His responded, “This and that”. The judge lost patience and said, “Looks like I’m going to have to put you away.” He exclaimed, “When am I gonna get out, Judge?” The judge calmly replied, “Sooner or later”.
“Wherever you are, be there” sounds like a ridiculous statement, but it’s not. I’ve talked to folks that weren’t there. Their ugly old bodies were, but their mind was somewhere else. I try to stay where I am and listen some. I’m right “cheer”. Are “youens” there?
Here’s a sermonette I use on the road. It concerns the “born again”
experience that Jesus talked about. I say it this way; “I was born the first time in 1941 and I was born the second time in 1967. I know I was born the first time because I’m here. I know I was born the second time because I was there. You may thing I’m here because I’m not all there but I’m happy!”
A clear conscience allows me to have fun. I’m a happy walker. I go by a store has a big wooden dummy advertising chicken on the roadside. I like to walk by and give “him” a high-five. Then I walk off like George Jefferson. (well, not exactly). Folks probably think, “Two dummies just met.” I don’t care. Everyone is a fool over something. I like being a fool on the right side.
Home is fun too. Our coffee pot died. I threw it in the garbage can and thought, “It didn’t have much of a life. It worked hard in the heat all its life. It probably died in a ‘nervous wreck’ with all that caffeine.” Yall keep ‘er ‘tween the ditches, and I’ll try to keep you in “stitches

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home