Sunday, April 26, 2009

From Dad

A Mother’s Love
I like the Paul Simon song, “Mama Loves Me Like a Rock”.
My mother loved me “like a rock” and rocked me in the rocking chair.
We who have loving mothers have a big advantage. We’re energized
by the love and encouragement they gave us.
Mama took care of me. Once “drawing names for Christmas” failed
and I got no gift. Thereafter I got two. Mama always brought an extra
gift. She didn’t want “her little boy” left out again.
She dressed, looked and acted like a lady. The only time I saw her in overalls was when she picked blackberries. I believe the Lord understood that she wasn’t doing that to wear “what pretaineth to a man”. She never sunbathed and embarrassed me in front of my friends. They sure liked her cooking though.
She was the first to help me with my insecurity. Dad loved me but had a lack of confidence in my capabilities. I never had a tricycle(pore thing), but Mom insisted I get a bicycle. Dad said, “He’ll never learn to ride it.” Mom talked back this time saying, “You’re crazy!”
I rode that bike every which way, even backwards. I did have a shaky
start. I’d lean it against the house and push along to get started. Every
time I’d fall over, I’d have to go back home. After awhile I could run
along and jump on that Western Flyer like Roy Rogers on Trigger. .
I was born backwards at home. Mom and I both almost died. But
to mention something like abortion would have horrified her. We would have both just died and went to Heaven. There’s no way under the sun
she would have thought about killing me. We’d already been going to
church together for nine months. Then we were separated at birth and she
became my Sunday School teacher. Happy Mothers Day from a happy son.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home