Monday, April 30, 2007

Sermon from Pastor Rob . . .

Achieving SUCCESS in Life

Some say:

Success for me is when I retire
Success is reaching my goal
Success is when my kids leave home
Success is experiencing a special feeling
Success is a new job
Success is vacation
Success is looking like Hulk Hogan, or playing golf like Tiger Woods, Having a brain like Einstein, or having the wealth of Bill Gates and Warren Buffett

Some women may think it is having beauty based upon Cosmo, etc…or the grace & poise of Jackie Kennedy Onassis, or the compassion of Mother Teresa

Every person has his or her own definition of Success
But for us to establish what success is, we must define what success is NOT!

Success is not Money
Success is not determined by your Circumstance
Success is not having it all
Success is not Power


God’s Portrait of Success

1. If you want a picture of a successful life as heaven measures it and God views it, don’t look for it in the glaring lights & blaring bands on Broadway. Don’t look for it in Hollywood or Washington DC.
2. Listen, rather, for the sound of water splashing into a basin, while God incarnate, in a humility that made angels hold their breath, sponges the grime from the feet of His undeserving disciples in the upper room.
3. “He who is greatest among you shall be your servant” Jesus said in Matthew 23:11
4. Paul who converted the Gentile world introduced himself as “Paul, a bondservant of Jesus Christ” (Romans 1:1) James (James 1:1), Peter (2 Peter 1:1) John the revelator who put his pen to parchment (Rev. 1:1)
5. Jesus – Mark 10:45
6. Success is sowing seeds that benefit others

a. The saddest thing to be ever said about a person – “He/She lived for himself”.
b. Luke 9:25 – “What profit a man if he gains the whole world but loses his own soul.”
c. It is said that the average person in his or her lifetime will influence over 10,000 people. How will you be remembered?
d. Don’t live your life with regret! Early Methodist had coined a statement – “How to die well” which meant when I die did I give it my best shot? Was I:

1. Faithful to God
2. Loving to my wife
3. Example to my kids
4. Helped my friends
5. Truthful to my self (honesty & integrity)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home